Rent Supplement FAQs

Q. When will my rental supplement be effective?
A. Once approved the subsidy is effected for the first of the following month.  

Q. Do I have to live in the area?

Effective October 1, 2022, Westwinds Communities has adopted a residency requirement for all new applicants to Westwinds Affordable housing programs including seniors independent living, family community housing and the rental assistance benefit program.

Applicants who have maintained primary residency within the boundary of Foothills County, the County of Vulcan, the MD of Willow Creek north of highway 519 and the townsite of Bragg Creek for a period of not less than six (6) consecutive month’s immediately preceding completion of Westwinds application document are welcome to apply.

Q:What is the maximium annual income to qualify for the program?
Income Limits

Community1 Bedroom2 Bedroom3 Bedroom4 Bedroom
Black Diamond, Bragg Creek,
Nanton, Turner Valley,
MD Foothills, County of Vulcon,
MD Willow Creek
High River$40,500$45,500$50,000$58,000

Please note the funding is based on the number of bedroom required by the household not the number of bedrooms in the home.     

Q. What is considered to be a dependent child?
A. Any unmarried child, stepchild, adopted child or legal ward who is: under 18 years of age; or, under 25 and registered in full-time school or university; or a child of any age who is accepted as dependent for income tax purposes due to mental or physical infirmity.

Q. What if I haven’t filed and income tax return?
A. If you and/or your spouse have not filed your current tax return you will not be eligible for the program.

Q. What if I have other family members 18 years or older living with me or I share with other adults?
A. Depending on the number of adults living in the rental unit, a portion of the full monthly rent will be allocated to your household and this amount will be used when calculating supplement through the program.

Q. My minor child (under age 18) has a part-time job; do I need to declare their income?
A. No, as long as the child is between the ages of 15 and 18 years and is in full-time schooling. If a minor child between the ages of 15 and 18 years is not in school and is working, then yes that child’s income is considered as household income.

Q. How will I know the status of my Rental Supplement Program Application?
A. If approved, Westwinds Communities will contact you by telephone. If your application is not approved you will then be contacted by mail or email.

Q. What happens if my income changes?
A. The supplement is based on your current income, any changes in income must be immediately reported.  

Q. What happens if I move or my rent amount changes?
A. You must inform Westwinds Communities immediately so that we can make the necessary changes to your file.  Failure to notify Westwinds Communities in advance of your move will result in program termination.

Q. Is there a minimum level of supplement?
A. The minimum level of supplement anyone can receive is $40.00 per month.

Q. What is considered to be an asset?
A. Assets are defined as stocks, bonds, term deposits, mutual funds, cash real estate equity and vehicles. Assets that are exempted from consideration include personal affects such as furniture, jewelry, vehicles, RESPs and RRSPs, and tools and equipment required for employment.